Understanding Workflow Users
Setup Workflow Users
Log in to Sage 300 as ADMIN and use the Extender Setup > Licences screen to view/add/delete users.
For details on using the screen, refer to Extender License and Workflow Users
When do you need workflow users
A Workflow User license is required for each user who needs to access Extender Workflow functionality:
- Extender Workflow Console: The console lets users monitor workflow instances, drill down for detail, and progress workflows that have been assigned to them.
- Start or progress Extender Workflow using the Icons on Sage 300 screens.
- View workflow history using configured icons on Sage 300 screens.
- Access Extender Audit Logs via icons configured on Sage 300 screens to view the detailed history of logged records.
Requirement! To use the Extender icons on the screens, you need to install and activate Information Manager. If you are not using other functionality in Information Manager, you don't need activation details.
Workflow Users also have access to Email SmartLink: E.g. so a participant in a workflow can be easily emailed a link to a relevant Sage 300 record.
A Workflow User license is required for users to progress the workflow through Remote Action Service.
This functionality to use a one-time link in a notification email to progress a workflow without needing to be logged in to Sage 300 requires an additional subscription to Remote Action Service.
Note: Workflow Users do not need to use a Sage 300 license if their only interaction with Extender Workflow will be via the Remote Action Service.
For details, refer to Remote Action Service : Progress Extender Workflow remotely
Workflow Anywhere provides an Extender Workflow Console for your mobile device.
To use the Workflow Anywhere App, a user needs a Workflow User license and a Workflow Anywhere User license. A Sage 300 license is required when the user refreshes the data on the App or progresses the workflow.
For details, refer to Workflow Anywhere - Extender Workflow Console Mobile App
Workflow template and Workflow Users
When you assign a workflow to a user who is not configured as a Workflow User, the AssignUser workflow action returns an error. The next action is configured in the False Action # field in the Workflow Template.
Make sure the Workflow Template notifies an Admin user and proceeds with the rest of the workflow actions.
Tip: You can add a Workflow Action to assign the workflow to ADMIN if the first AssignUser action returns False
How do Workflow Users work?
WORKFLOW USERS are NAMED user licenses:
- Each Workflow User license is allocated to a specific, named user.
- Named users, up to the number of current Workflow User licences, are assigned in Extender Setup.
- If you are using multiple Sage 300 databases, Named users are shared across all databases where Extender is activated.
Note: A Workflow User license is not required to trigger an automatic Workflow (e.g. by updating a record in Sage 300)